Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Learning I have Celiacs Disease

Since I was a teenager I have been plagued with migraine headaches.  Thankfully they were only about once every other month and I dealt with them best I could.  When I left for college they lessened greatly.  However, my senior year they came back with a vengeance.  I had a migraine at least once a month and sometimes 2.  Nothing seemed to help and my immune system was becoming non-existent.  I would catch a cold from a roommate and get bronchitis every time leaving me sick for 3 months with something they got over in 3 days.  Then I would catch the next thing and the cycle would continue.  I was having all sorts of stomach aches and by a year later I had been sent to the hospital by doctors who were sure I had appendicitis (twice) to be sent home a few hours later being told I was perfectly healthy.  I had a ton of other health issues going on as well.  I was going insane!  In the mean time I met my husband and we were married.  He entered culinary school and his baking semester was what helped us finally figure out what was going on.  I have always loved bread, especially freshly baked and Cory came home from work every day with a new bread for me to try that he had made in class.  As I wasn't feeling to good I ate it gratefully!  Then I got worse.  This continued for most of the semester until I was extremely sick, having migraines every week, and the doctors kept saying it was anything from the flu to stress to sending me home without any idea what it was.  That is when Cory came to the conclusion that we had tried everything but food allergies so it must be food related.  I thought he was crazy.  We talked with his mom about it and she mentioned how she had heard of a lot of people recently discovering they were allergic to gluten.  I went completely off gluten 2 days later after getting extremely sick once I ate a bunch of hot fresh rolls and within days I felt better than I had in months!  We returned to the doctor after I had been off gluten for a while and explained what we had done.  He said that from our information he could pretty much guarantee I had Celiacs Disease but to confirm it I would have to eat gluten again for 3 months so that the test would come back positive.  He recommended avoiding that because of how much better I felt and just not eating it ever again.  I have not intentionally eaten anything containing gluten since that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment